Water Action Plan 2020
This OneVorld video discusses a plan for the implementation of the conservation and management of water resources in India.
Proposed By: GN Kathpalia and Rakesh Kapoor
- The first national policy was created in September 1987
- Updated in April 1, 2002, by National Water Resources Council
- This was followed by an update in 2012
What is the Water Action Policy 2020 ? Is there a need for this alternative ? How do we conserve, manage, save, maintain and utilise these resources ? How will this plan help in decision making by the authorities ?
So, what is the Water Action Policy ?
Water Resources in India, for now, is being managed by central and state government mostly. The plan suggests that there should be a shift in the work division at the level of local communities also. This requires the setting up of different community organizations like Watershed Management Associations(WMAs), Water Users Association (WUAs), JFM, RWAs.
Key concepts in the plan for water conservation and management are drinking and domestic use of water, water pollution, watershed management, flood and drainage management, underground water conservation, irrigation, cultivation, hydropower, industrial and thermal power management, sectoral allocation, navigation, demand management, and resources assessment.
- Partnership with communities in Water Resource Management
- Changes in the institutional structure
- Implementation of water-shed projects
- Legal changes
- Project implementation
- Financing projects and water service charges
- Maintenance and modernisation
- Action program and important implementation aspects
- Research and training